The Baseball Fields

On June 26, 1877, the Lincoln Park Commissioners designated a part of the parade grounds for use as a baseball field.
Baseball diamonds, in a variety of configurations have remained in the area since that time.



Lincoln Park Commissioners proceedings volume, presented by permission and courtesy of the Chicago Park District Special Collections.


1899, from IJ Bryan's, A History of Lincoln Park. Through the years, the grounds were shared with other sporting event configurations.


vintage postcard, postmarked 1908

vintage postcard, postmarked 1910

vintage postcard, circa 1910

vintage postcard, circa 1940
Pamela Bannos © 2017